• consider and make policy recommendations to Council regarding fire and protective services, parks and open space services, community, recreation, cultural and heritage programs and services as well as public transportation services;
• consider and make recommendations to Council for those items emanating from the Community and Protective Services Division unless those items fall specifically within the mandate of another main Committee;
• consider and make recommendations to Council related to items emanating from the Committees that report to the Community and Protective Services Committee;
• consider and make policy recommendations regarding taxis; and
• consider and make recommendations to Council on all consulting contracts over $500,000 related to the mandate of the Community and Protective Services Committee.
Pursuant to section 100 of The Cities Act, The Community and Protective Services Committee is delegated the authority from Council to do the following:
• develop funding criteria for grants related to community, social services, parks and open space services, recreation and cultural programs and services as well as public transportation services;
• resolve public issues relative to community, social service and parks and recreation operations within the scope and intent of established policy and the annual Operating Budget;
• establish, approve and amend program regulations, annual priorities, categories, and other details of the Community Investment Review Consultative Group and the Administration in responding to requests for grants;
• determine the scheduling and routing for buses;
• determine the location of bus shelters;
• hear taxi license refusal, revocation and suspension hearings
Meeting Frequency: Wednesday, Monthly
Term Limit: 1 year Terms, unlimited number of Terms.